Monday, January 20, 2014

Small Town Girl, Big City Lights


Let’s play a fun little comparison game.


My Hometown
London
Population
~12,000
 8 million
% of white people
Hovering around 85%
 Less than 50%
# of horses per person
Like, at least 5
I’m assuming less than that

I’m not besmirching my hometown. I like it there. It’s nice and pretty and quiet. But it has done nothing in the way of giving me street smarts or navigation abilities or diversity education or any other helpful, big-city skills. Frankly, I’ve already beaten the odds by leaving it to go to college somewhere else. Here’s another helpful demonstration:
Key:
Red-elementary school
Purple-middle school
Green-high school
Blue-college

I’m assuming that the more observant among you have noticed that these are all on one street. If you go to college to become a nurse, you can work at the hospital, which is right above the elementary school. You can feasibly live your entire life on a single street.  Which, again, I’m not saying is a BAD thing, but it’s certainly a thing.

Anyway, I’m just hoping that this provides you all with a little insight into why I’m a weensy little bit freaked out to live in London. More excited than scared, but it’s just something that is the tiniest little bit outside my sphere of experience, not to mention comfort. Just a little. But you know, stretch, grow, build character, live daringly, ect.

I’m gonna grab life by the horns, y’all. Just, like, a little bit timidly.


No comments:

Post a Comment