Wednesday, April 30, 2014

All the World's a Stage...

Do not get in the Ophelia boat
…and everything in Stratford-Upon-Avon is named after Shakespeare. Everything. Pubs, shops, these boats, everything. We spent two days there for class and I think I saw every Shakespeare pun ever invented. It's an adorable town, with great countryside a short walk away, but I have to imagine that the residents might find it less so. After all, there's not really much to do, aside from go to the pub or the theater (which is why I am going to retire there in an adorable cottage and do nothing but attend the theater, go to the pub, hike, and work in my garden). Or visit the numerous Shakespeare museums and locations, but then you'd have to join in the swarms of tourists. I'm sure it's a love-hate relationship.
Gorgeous sunshine trail


Burial site of the Bard himself
Of the many Shakespeare-related places we visited (Shakespeare's birthplace, grave, Halls' Croft, Shakespeare's school, ect), Anne Hathaway's cottage was definitely my favorite, if only for the spectacular speech given by our guide, who was wonderfully enthusiastic. It also just has these beautiful gardens that are worth the price of admission. Of course, we had to partake of the theater while we were there. Our play of choice (our teacher's choice, technically) was King Henry IV, Part 1, which featured the COOLEST SWORD FIGHT I've ever seen. Not that I've seen many. But it was spectacular.

The castle itself
On the way home from The Land of Shakespeare we stopped to visit Warwick Castle, which is kind of half theme park, half museum. I'm a sucker for castles regardless of their level of tourism, and Warwick did not disappoint. Apart from the minority terrifying wax figurines, it was great. I wish I could go back in the summer though, because there's jousting and a fireball display with their replica trebuchet. What's not to like about that?

I also wish I had appropriate contrasting photos to show how wonderful the weather was the first day and how terrible it was the second day (way to be typical, England), but this is the best I can come up with:
Day 1

Day 2
We managed to snap a great group shot at Shakespeare's birthplace while the sun was still out, however, so I present to you AHA International Spring Semester 2014, complete with Mary, our assistant director on the right.





No comments:

Post a Comment